Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:37:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Klaus Werner Krygier <krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFSV3 - NFS on FreeBSD 2.2

With several snapshots and also the last recent 2.2-GAMMA-releases
I found, that the operating systems has a lot of good features and
works very fine. But I have one severe problem: FreeBSD supports now
NFS Version 3 which seems to be buggy. Especially using a FreeBSD
machine as NFSV3 server and DEC-Alpha systems running Digital Unix as
NFSV3 clients results in a very strange behaviour.
I have no problem to mount file systems, there are no hangups or system
crashes and at the first view everything seems to work. But if I do a
'ls' on a directory containg about 50 files or more I get an error
message like
		.: Error 10003 occurred
and the directory listing is incomplete and/or badly formatted. For small
directories this seems to work, also if I force a NFSV2 mount. Access to
the contents of regular files seem to work in both versions, but this I
didn't test very much.

Greetings,
Klaus Werner Krygier

| Dr. Klaus Werner Krygier            | Email: krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de |
| Institut für Kernphysik             |                                 |
| Johannes Gutenberg-Universität      | Tel:   +49-6131-39-2960         |
| J.J.Becher-Weg 45                   |        +49-6131-39-5192         |
| D-55099 Mainz                       | Fax:   +49-6131-39-2964         |