Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:35:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeating medium errors and error from "camcontrol defects"

Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:21:56 +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
[snip]
> Then, write zeroes to the bad block to force the drive to remap it.

I'm not really sure this always work. the way I use to remap bad
block is to make a read check using the SCSI BIOS controller (TEKRAM
and probably ADAPTEC allow this at boot time), when errors are
encountered, the BIOS asks you whether or not you want to remap the
defective block. so, I'm sure that bad blocks are remapped since it
asks me to do something.

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net