Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:57:55 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat LIST <FreeBSD-Chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mac OS X != i386

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:26:39PM -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> You know, I got to thinking today...
>=20
> How is Mac OSX "based" on FreeBSD?!  I wasn't aware that FreeBSD could run
> on alpha, i386 *and* Apple's hardware/architecture.

Much of the userland and some of the kernel code is shared.  Much of this
code (especialy the userland portion) is architecture independed except
for endian related bugs.  Those are currently being fixed in the main
line, largly due to the sparc64 port.  Additionaly, FreeBSD is being
ported to PowerPC (specificaly pci power macs).

Claiming that MacOS X is based on FreeBSD might be a bit strong,
especialy since it's got a Mach kernel, but they do share quite a bit of
code and the pure unix interface is very similar.

-- Brooks

--=20

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--