Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:08:09 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

> Firstly, size: One of sysinstall's requirements is that it fit (along
> with a variety of other related commands) onto a floppy disk.  Last
> time I checked, the /stand bundle (sysinstall + friends) was ~640K.
> The smallest X-server (XF86_VGA16) is 1.7MB (plus libraries).  I don't
> have either Qt or Lesstif installed, but from previous dealings with
> Motif, it's several times the size of the Xserver.  Unless we want to
> mandate the use of ZIP drives (or similar) as FreeBSD install
> floppies, we're limited to a syscons (or VTxxx) sysinstall.

This manages to overlook the fact that the installer has to have a feed
to a much larger source of data in order to actually perform the
installation.

> The second problem is that X11 needs a fair amount of configuration
> before it will work.  Whilst the VGA16 server forms a convenient
> lowest-common-denominator position, it offers no real advantages over
> a character-mode installation (same screen resolution and number of
> colours) and significantly poorer performance.

You're welcome to look at the technology demonstrators currently in use
by RedHat and Caldera if you think that this is impossible.

> Given the primary mission of sysinstall is to load FreeBSD, I'd
> go so far as to say that developing an X version would be wasting
> valuable developer resources (IMHO, of course).

It's a painful tradeoff between functionality and flash.  The latter is
an unfortunate necessity if we are to avoid looking hopelessly outdated.