Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:07:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ron Warnick <ron@3rivers.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy tapes

> Dan Benjamin stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I have read the FAQ and Handbook, and was wondering, specifically, if
> > there are certain brands or types of floppy tape drives that do or don't
> > work with FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE.
>
> Floppy tapes don't work, period.  It's possibly to cajole them into
> sort-of working, but due to their hopeless design, it's impossible to
> communicate with them in a fashion consistent with a 'real' operating system.
>
> If you want the grisly details, I'm happy to spell them out, but in short,
> don't buy one, don't advise anyone else to buy one, and don't try using
> one if you have it 8)
>
> Buy a cheap SCSI card (eg. Adaptec 1520) and get a SCSI tape.  You will
> _never_ regret it.
>
> > |  Dan Benjamin              dan@init.org  |

I have a conner 250 MB on a floppy controller that worked (unreliably)
with 2.1R. It would often die in the middle of a large backup, but always worked
with small ones, using ft. With -current of Mar 6, any use of ft or mt
immediatly locked the machine, no cores... no nothing. With -current, Mar 10,
I get intermittent lockups or reboots, still no cores or messages. I was hoping
that maybe the VM_ fixes would help, and will try again. But I'm not expecting
too much of the conner.

Ron