Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:15:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: malloc.h

<<On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:52:22 +0100, Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net> said:

> As I understand it, the only problem is if some implementation indicates
> non-conformance with #define __STDC__ 0, which is unheard of to me, and,
> if I were an implementor of such a system, I'd just leave it undefined.

That is a slight misinterpretation of what those systems do.

Those systems have a three-mode compiler (similar to GCC in that
regard).  When running in `traditional' mode, they do not define
__STDC__.  When running in `strict ANSI/ISO' mode, they define
__STDC__ to unity, as required by the Standard.  When running in their
default mode, which accepts a proper superset of the ANSI/ISO
language, they define __STDC__ to be zero.  The theory is that only
conformance tests would ever actually care about the exact value of
__STDC__.

None of this has anything to do with us, since the Standard Header
Files are part of The Implementation, and FreeBSD doesn't use one of
those (MIPS or DECpaq) compilers.

-GAWollman