Date:      15 Sep 1998 14:45:21 +0100
From:      Graeme Brown <graeme.brown@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
To:        "FreeBSD-Net (FreeBSD.Org) List" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sending email from FreeBSD

Dear List

According to FreeBSD handbook Sec 17.2.1, I should be able to send
email to external hosts as long as my /etc/resolv.conf is setup
OK with FreeBSD at it comes "out-of-the-box". But I cannot !

My FreeBSD 2.2.5 host is freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk with a valid public IP
Address.

In /etc/services I have

% cat /etc/services | grep smtp

smtp		 25/tcp	   mail		#Simple Mail Transfer
smtp		 25/udp	   mail		#Simple Mail Transfer
%

The sendmail demon appears to be running ...

% ps -ax | grep sendmail
  146  ??  Is     0:00.96 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25
(sendmail)
 4184  p3  S+     0:00.02 grep sendmail
%

Flags for sendmail in my /etc/rc.conf ...

sendmail_enable="YES"	# Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m" # -bd is pretty mandatory.

If as Section 17.2.1 says I do a hostname I get

% hostname
freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk
%

Also host freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk gives

% host freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk
freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk mail is handled (pri=15) by zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk
freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk mail is handled (pri=20) by relay.bt.net
freeb1.bt-sys.bt.co.uk mail is handled (pri=10) by mailhub.axion.bt.co.uk
%

I have tried to send a test email to myself (graeme.brown@bt-sys.bt.co.uk)
which should be forwarded to my  mail account on another system  but it  never
reaches the destination !

Can anyone elighten me as to what is wrong or what I need to check out ?

TIA