Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:39:50 -0800
From:      <wsanborn@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Release 3.4 print filter question

	Sorry for this basic question, but after browsing through the various handbooks, lpd, lpr,
printcap, and exev manpages,  I haven't been able to come up with a solution.

	Here's the simple problem: Using a PCL-5 compliant printer attached to the parallel port. I
know, <groan>.

	After making the appropriate printcap entries and enabling lpd in /etc/rc.conf I've been able
to print plain text to the printer (albeit stepped). So I made a filter statement, just like the
handbook instructed, and now nothing prints. I do, however, get a few errors. Off-hand, it seems
to be a script incompatibility problem. Here is all of the info.:

	The error:

Feb 10 09:44:23 bsdserver lpd[383]: cannot execv
/usr/local/libexec/hppclif

Feb 10 09:44:23 bsdserver lpd[382]: lp: job could not be printed
(cfA013bsdserver.my.domain)

	The filter is saved in /usr/local/libexec/ as hppclif. I also applied "chmod a+x" to it.

	printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\033&l0H" && exit 0
	exit 2

	If I'm not mistaken, this will simply send the PCL code, that changes how CRs and LFs are
interpreted by the printer, sends the text, then sends a form feed to the lpd daemon. Pretty
simple.

	The printcap statement:

lp|dj|HP Deskjet 660C:\
	:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/lp:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/hppclif:

	BTW, why isn't the lpd daemon active by default?