Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:51:42 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PAO and CVSup

Hi, all.

I've recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 onto my new laptop, using the
CD and the PAO boot floppy. Everything went well and I was able to
configure and build a PAO kernel. (I did have a hard time finding a PC
ethernet card that would work, but eventually did.)

I was under the impression that I could track the -stable release
using cvsup and still maintain PAO support. However, my first attempt
failed, and I don't know why. I hope that this is the proper list to
address - there doesn't seem to be any other avenue for PAO support.

Here's what I did...
	cvsup stable-supfile
	make world		These worked...
	config TOOTS
	make depend

	make			This failed, complaining about
				undefined pcic_intr and pcicdriver.

By commenting out the PCIC lines in the kernel config file, I was able
to build a kernel successfully, but (of course) it doesn't recognize
my PC ethernet card any more. It appears that cvsup'ing the stable
sources may have overwritten the PAO patches/changes.

After that initial failure, I've also cvsup'ed the PAO packages from
jaz.jp.freebsd.org, using the directions on the PAO web page, but the
stuff that I got (sys and kit) is in it's own hierarchy, and I don't
know how to integrate it. To add insult to injury, jaz.jp.freebsd.org
is now rejecting any attempt to cvsup, so I can't even do any more
experiments! :-)

If someone can point out the error of my ways, or even better, point
me to the documentation for what I'm trying to do, I'd really
appreciate it.

Thanks.
Steve

----------------------------------------------#-----#--#####---------------
                                              #     # #     #
 Steve Sizemore                               #     # #
 Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology #     # #
 Box 0450, Room HSE-1285                      #     # #
 University of California Medical Center      #     # #     #
 513 Parnassus Avenue                          #####   ##### #####  #######
 San Francisco CA 94143-0450                                #     # #
                                                            #       #
 steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu                                      #####  #####
 (415) 476-6987  FAX: (415) 476-6515                              # #
                                                            #     # #