Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/26317: /modules not created by make installkernel

The following reply was made to PR kern/26317; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:37:37 +0300

 On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:23:08AM -0400, T. William Wells wrote:

 > >Number:         26317
 > >Category:       kern
 > >Synopsis:       /modules not created by make installkernel
 > >Originator:     T. William Wells
 > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.3-BETA i386
 > >Environment:
 > System: FreeBSD twwells.com 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #2: Mon Mar 19 12:24:00 EST 2001 root@twwells.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TWWELLS i386

 > 	I blew away my /modules (and /modules.old) directory and
 > 	then did a make installkernel. The result was a file where
 > 	/modules should have been.
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > 	rm -fr /modules*
 > 	cd /usr/src
 > 	make installkernel KERNCONF=yourkernel
 >
 > >Fix:
 >
 > 	For a workaround, just don't blow away /modules (delete
 > 	its contents instead) or, having done so, mkdir /modules
 > 	before doing the make installkernel.

 The /modules directory is created in the first stage of the 'make installworld'
 process.  As world and kernel should generally always be rebuild/reinstalled
 in sync, this does not usually arise as a problem :)

 As you correctly point out, a workaround is to always have a /modules dir.
 I wonder, though, whether the 'installkernel' target in Makefile.inc1 should
 not, too, invoke a 'make hierarchy', or at least some subset of that, to do
 an mtree from BSD.root.dist; that should ensure that the /modules directory
 is there.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --