Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2004 07:29:33 -0600
From:      "Chris" <bsdnewbie@coolarrow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jails for websites

5.1

I have a server with 5 public IP addresses, so I'm thinking I'll set it up=
 with one IP for the server (as a host) and the other 4 assigned to 4=
 jails. The jails are for websites...

>From a security standpoint, wouldn't it be better to run four instances of=
 ftpd (one in each jail), as opposed to one instance on the host server?

And from a security standpoint, should I run apache from the host server,=
 where I can configure mod_security the way I want, or just run individual=
 apaches inside each jail and let the website owners configure it the way=
 they want?

I like the idea of running things inside the jail, and recognize that if=
 the webmaster of the site configures it wrong, it's their problem not=
 mine, but is the jail secure enough to allow them that much access?

I have heard of hosting sites selling "virtual dedicated servers" by giving=
 someone root access to a jail, so I'm thinking jails are fairly secure.=
 Anyone with experience in this that can give me advice?

Thanks,
Chris