Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:24:07 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Mark Hummel <mhumm2@mchsi.com>
Cc:        Collins <erichey2@attbi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC fails - dc0: couldn't map ports.memory

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:28:03PM -0600, Mark Hummel wrote:
> On Thursday 21 March 2002 09:22 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Collins,
>
> I too have a NIC labled as dc0.  My NIC is a Linksys 10/100 Etherfast PCI
> card.  What is yours?  As you know, it makes a difference which NIC you
> choose in sysinstall.  Your choice of using the Ne1k - Ne2k is correct for my
> card, but I don't know about yours.  Please send the dmesg output in your
>
> You probably know, but it helps me to remember by typing it out again:
> dmesg|grep dc0
>

> HTH
>
> Mark
>

> > I had a functional FreeBSD 4.4 system running on my prior computer
> > (K6/II 300Mz), but now I've switched to a new computer (P3/800Mz) and I
> > can't get it to work.
> >
> > I tried 4.4 (even built my own kernel) and now 4.5 with the same
> > results.
> >
> > I have a multi-boot system.  Win98 on Slice 1, FreeBSD on Slice 2, and
> > several Linux partitions on extend partitions on the disk.  I use grub
> > to boot.
> >
> > Eveything about the FreeBSD install works perfectly, except my NIC card.
> >  The card shows up as an ADMtek Commet rev 17.  It is on IRQ 11 (shared
> > with USB).  Linux drives the card with the "tulip" module, and it works
> > perfectly.
> >
> > During install I selected the Ne1K, Ne2K,.... driver, but the card was
> > not seen - I didn't get an ethernet choice for network configuration
> > (same results with 4.4 and 4.5.  After boot of the GENERIC kernel, the
> > kernel produces messages	dc0: couldn't map ports/memory
> > 	dc0 attach returned 6
> > On 4.4 I tried compiling a kernel with the de driver (which advertises
> > to be a "tulip" driver, but the card doesn't even appear - no messages
> > at all.

The dc driver is correct.  In this case, it is complaining that it
can't complete device initialization because something is using either
an irq or io mem address that the card wants.  Most likely trying the
card in a different pci slot will solve the issue.  Double check and
make SURE you don't have a Plug n Play OS setting in your BIOS as
well, having that on can really fux0r things.

Josh