Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2008 15:44:56 +0100
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec+freebsdstable@42.org>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   firewire related hang.

I just installed FreeBSD-7 on an amd64 box. The new motherboard has
firewire builtin.

I wanted to disable dma via firewire, but as soon as I add

hw.firewire.phydma_enable=0

to /boot/loader.conf (which is what the man page suggests)

The box hangs on boot.

It detects the firewire controller, after that the sata disk and then
hangs.

Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do to help debug this?

Lastly, if this is not easily fixable, would removing the firewire
driver from my kernel disable the DMA attack?

CU,
    Sec
--
Whatever the virtues of balance, it's just a pleasant form of insanity.