Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:55:38 -0400
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   install of 4.7-R

Hi:

I just finished installing 4.7-RELEASE from USA/ftp2.freebsd.org

I had two problems:

  1) Linux 6.1 was installed instead of 7.1

  2) The Xfree86 config was strange.  It kept telling me that
      the config failed, but I seemed to go through all the screens
      OK (I tried graphical and ncurses)

      After the install, when I tried to 'startx' I got the message:

(WW) VGA: Chipset "ati" in Device section "Card0" isn't valid for
this driver"
(EE) No devices installed.

During the install, there was no choice for "ati," it just defaulted
to that.  And there was no choice for "Mach64" chipset (which is the chipset
on my ATI XPERT98 card) -- the installation actually said that
you should pick the default if the chipset wasn't there (default was
"vga").

Further, I can see in the log messages that the system (and X) is
recognizing the driver as ATI Mach64.

I know that Xfree86 is not technically part of FreeBSD but I have a
simple setup and it seems that it should just work.  It also seems
that Linux 7.1 should be installed, even at the mirrors, since the
release notes explicitly say that Linux was upgraded for 4.7-RELEASE.
Obviously, if installs from the mirrors do not work properly, then ppl
will tend toward the main site.

John

(c) Copyright 2002  John Daniels.  All rights reserved.