Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Pockele <chrisp@belgacom.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/30168: 4-stable, crash when writing to msdos fs

The following reply was made to PR misc/30168; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Chris Pockele <chrisp@belgacom.net>
To: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, fs@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:38:06 +0100

 > Thanks, that was what's needed.  Now to find an msdosfs guru to debug
 > this :)
 >
 > Kris

 Compiling msdosfs support as a module has solved the problem
 for a long time (don't know why, but it didn't crash).
 But after doing a cvsup + makeworld today,
 it occured again (mounting & reading the msdos partition is ok,
 panic when writing).
 I searched the GNATS database and i found a few pr's that
 seem to describe the same problem.
 I applied the following patch from pr i386/28536, and it did
 give me the error message (Next free cluster in FSInfo (%u)
 exceeds maxcluster (%u)) when trying to mount the partition.

 The scandisk programs from win98 and w2k don't report any
 errors on the partitions, and Linux can write to them, too.

 Should I recompile with unpatched sources and submit another
 traceback?

 Here's the patch:

 /*
                 * Check and validate (or perhaps invalidate?) the fsinfo
 structure?            XXX
                 */
        +     if (pmp->pm_fsinfo && pmp->pm_nxtfree > pmp->pm_maxcluster)
 {
        +         printf ("
        +                pmp->pm_nxtfree, pmp->pm_maxcluster);
        +         error = EINVAL;
        +         goto error_exit;
        +     }

                /*
                 * Allocate memory for the bitmap of allocated clusters,
 and then

 Here are the error messages (with patch applied):

 Oct 28 18:33:35 freedaemon /kernel: Next free cluster in FSInfo
 (4294967295) exceeds maxcluster (1148401)
 Oct 28 18:33:49 freedaemon /kernel: Next free cluster in FSInfo
 (4294967295) exceeds maxcluster (1467070)

 (there are two msdos partitions which i tried to mount)
 Maybe it's because the partitions are bigger than 2 or 8 GB?