Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:08:07 -0500
From:      Bill Farina <bfarina@venture-1.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Zone Questions

I've been working for days on getting my server up and running.  I've been
checking the operation with dnswalk.  When I run;

	ns# dnswalk venture-1.com.
	Checking venture-1.com.
	Getting zone transfer of venture-1.com. from ns.venture-1.com...done.
	SOA=ns.venture-1.com    contact=root.venture-1.com
	0 failures, 0 warnings, 0 errors.

This is cool, but when I run it on the full name, I get;

	ns# dnswalk ns.venture-1.com.
	Checking ns.venture-1.com.
	BAD: SOA record not found for ns.venture-1.com.
	BAD: ns.venture-1.com. has NO authoritative nameservers!
	BAD: All zone transfer attempts of ns.venture-1.com. failed!
	0 failures, 0 warnings, 3 errors.

It looks like I need a seperate zone file for venture-1.com and
ns.venture-1.com.  I don't believe that this is the case.  What am I doing
wrong???

Another 'interesting' thing that happens is when I do an nslookup on the ns
address.  It comes out looking like;

	> ns.venture-1.com
	Server:  localhost
	Address:  127.0.0.1

	Name:    ns.venture-1.com
	Address:  205.213.64.11
	Aliases:  ns.venture-1.com, ns.venture-1.com

This seems to be okay except for the aliases, I have no idea where these
are coming from and I don't know if these issues are connected.

Right now I'd appreciate ANY help, full or in part.  If someone suggested
that I quit and get a job at a bowling alley, right now I'd probably take
them up on it.

Bill

PS, if you are replying to the list, kindly cc a copy to
bfarina@venture-1.com.  Needless to say, things are running a little
sparodically and I'd prefer not to lose the reply.