Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 05:57:04 -0500
From:      "Abraham T. Rooter" <abe@unix-fu.org>
To:        "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Gurley=2C_Fran=E7ois?=" <Francois.Gurley@mss.gouv.qc.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question?

Hi Francois,

    It's a pretty baaad idea to send flame-bait like this to a mailing list,
just fyi. :-) Too many people get emotionally involved in this. The same
goes for the folks who like to argue over the "best" Linux distrobution.
When it comes down to it, if you're trying to learn UNIX; UNIX is UNIX is
UNIX. You're basically going to learn the same amount of UNIX in running
FreeBSD as you would running Linux or any other UNIX variant. When it comes
down to it, it's basically a difference of how the system likes things done.
For example the differences between configuring and compiling a Linux kernel
and a FreeBSD kernel. Another example is how the system files are structured
and where they're placed. There are many slight differences between Linux
and FreeBSD, but I don't see what's stopping you from using both? :-) I'd
suggest picking one out of a hat per se (Yes, not the most intelligent route
perhaps, but effective). Just pick one, run it for a few months and see how
you like it. Read up on the system, get used to it, get the feel for it,
then try the other. Make your own decision as for which one is best for YOU
to run. People have different tastes, and therefore are more than likely
going to give biased opinions. Find out for yourself is the advice I'd give.
If you need any help along the way, email is free, send me some. ;-)

    Regards,

Kris