Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:48:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Steven Goodwin <steve@cit.gu.edu.au>
To:        Beauford <beauford.2002@rogers.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XF86Config - HELP!!!

I don't think xf86config (it think that is the utility) has ever set up my
mouse properly under freebsd.  A couple of modifications have always
seemed to get it working for me.  Firstly, I have the option

moused_enable="YES"

in my /etc/rc.conf file which starts the moused daemon upon boot.  This is
not necessary if your mouse is USB and you have the usb daemon start
moused for you.  To do this (if you have a usb mouse), add

usbd_enable="YES"

in the same rc.conf file instead.  Now, in the /etc/X11/XF86Config modify
the appropriate lines in the InputDevice section to the following

    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"

And see how you go.

Good Luck,