Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:54:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Flaimbait] "amd64" vs "x86-64"

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Peter Wemm wrote:

> There is no way in hell we're using "x86-64" if I have any say in it
> because it isn't a valid C token.  "x86_64" is a PITA to type.  I
> thought I saw somewhere that microsoft switched from "amd64" to
> "x64"..

Not that it matters much what I say, but I'm perfectly happy with
"amd64".  I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, and AMD is
the one that came up with this instruction set that Intel was so
dead-set on not having anything to do with in the first place.  From
what I understand, after Intel realized they missed the boat they
considered coming up with their own different 64-bit x86 extensions to
compete with AMD and Microsoft told them they wouldn't support yet
another platform, essentially forcing Intel to use AMD's instruction
set or die.

The only reason Intel has processors which support the amd64
instruction set today is because the market forced them to, and they
didn't even do a bang-up job implementing it, either (they're missing
a couple of instructions, IIRC).  This is an example where everyone
probably SHOULD be unfair to Intel in the naming of the architecture,
just out of spite. :-)

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?