Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 11:20:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bill Gates mentions FreeBSD in interview

Hi!

I have just come across an article in issue 4/1999 of the German IT
magazine "c't - Magazin fuer computer-technik" which might  be of
interest. Sadly enough, the article is not available online but it is an
exclusive interview made in Bonn, Germany after the "The road Ahead"
awards. Mostly it deals with software bugs and Windows2000 but there is a
section on Free Software and Linux as well.

It reads in relevant part: (translation by me)

Q: How big is the pressure from Linux on NT in reality? Linux has been
increasingly moving in even in big corporate environments. Could this be a
danger to NT?

Gates: Windows NT has always had some competitors. FreeBSD has existed a
for a long time. Apache, which is free software, has been used by big
firms for quite some time as well. It is possible that you have not
noticed it yet until now. We have had to compete with FreeSoftware for a
longer period of time.
[...snip]

The rest is the ususal blah-blah and therefore of no interest:-)

Maybe we should make some more marketing, after all, Gates is considering
us to be serious competition:-)

Cheers:
         Szilveszter

         Szeged University