Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 20:51:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        piero@strider.ibenet.it
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 951104-SNAP - Can't telnet in

> Does anyone know the obviuos setting (which I'm overlooking)
> to let me telnet into a 2.1.0-951104-SNAP machine? The ether
> card works (the machine was installed via ftp), it's up and
> running (can login via console), it pings, but if I try to
> telnet into it I never get a connection. telnet sits there
> until it timeouts. I also tried telnetting to port 7 and 25,
> same result. I tried rlogin, no go.

	I have the same problem!  It seems that this may somehow be related
to inetd, but I can't be sure.  I can't ftp, rlogin, telnet, talk, etc., to
the machine, even via localhost.  The crazy thing is, the network is
running fine.  I can telnet and ftp out, and things that aren't cranked up
via inetd (e.g. named, sshd, sendmail) work just fine.
	Any connection that's made to the machine on a port handled by
inetd just hangs.  The sockets stay in the CLOSE_WAIT state (from netstat).

generic info: 2.1.0-951104-SNAP, SMC Elite 16C Ultra, DES and Kerberos
              distributions installed.

	I don't think this is kerberos related, since it shows up with
finger, talk, etc.
	Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Ken