Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 09:25:13 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Cat Okita <cat@ghost.uunet.ca>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice/Recommendation needed

> > I *need* to know that I've got a support contract for the OS, and have
> > someone to hang out the window if things aren't working. (Hell - someone
> > to sue, if it comes to that).
>
> I can only once more recommend local expertise in ALL situations as the
> only way to truly be sure that your business will not suffer at the
> caprice of some outside agency, be it one free or commercial.

I am 100% in agreement with Jordan here.

On the other hand, I can easily imagine that a support organization could
still be a nice thing to have.

First of all, sometimes the size of the hammer or the mind behind it makes
a difference, but second, sometimes local expertise just isn't there at
the moment,  "Nepal ?  What do you mean holiday i Nepal ??  The server is
down!! and I mean DOWN!!!!  What's the number of that Nepal embassy ???"

We generally respond as fast as we can, and I don't think many people have
been left behind, unless we simply couldn't do anyting about their problem
(ie, insufficient info, special/buggy HW).

But I can see that from time to time, somebody might want to skew the
priority a bit at the expense of some cash to get their problem fixed,
and get it fixed >right now<.

Of course if there is a market for that kind of support, I for one is
more than happy to help fill it, and I'm sure we could get a company
set up and all that.  If you have any input on this, please send us
email (core@freebsd.org) and we will see what we can do.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure that if you were to send an email to
core@freebsd.org along the lines of "We will donate $N to FreeBSD if you
guys will please help us out of with this problem ASAP" somebody would
be on the problem pretty soon.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.