Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:08:07 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Sascha Blank <blank@uni-trier.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.8 stopped working under 3.2-STABLE

> today I have CVSupped the latest 3.2-STABLE version and did a make world
> then; everything went fine as expected.
>
> But when I started working with the latest JDK1.1.8/ELF port (dated July
> 19th) I noticed that every attempt to start "java" or "javac" results in
> a core dump right after the start.  I have used exactly the same port
> successfully about a month ago (with a recent 3.2-STABLE version at that
> time), and my environment hasn't changed very much since then.
>
> Maybe the following backtrace will help the porting team to find out
> what is going on.

Hmm, it appears that linker changes may have caused bad things to occur
in the JDK.

> #0  0x280c7ece in GetDefaultClassPath ()
>     at ../../../../src/freebsd/java/javai/javai.c:806

This code makes heavy use of the runtime loader, so any changes made
there could negatively effect the JDK.
        Dl_info dlinfo;
        dladdr((void *)InitializeAlloc, &dlinfo);
        jio_snprintf(buf, PATH_MAX, "%s", dlinfo.dli_fname);

Just out of curiousity, where is your JDK installed?  (full path, not a
symlink setup if possible..)

Nate