Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:19:05 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ntpd multicast TTL

ntpd is a convenient source of multicast packets for testing purposes.
When I add

broadcast 224.0.1.1

to my ntp.conf, ntpd sends a multicast packet with TTL 1 every 64
seconds.  Just as expected.  However, when I explicitly specify the
TTL as in

broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 1

it sends packets with TTL 32.  Trying a few other numbers confirms
that it multiplies the specified TTL by 32.  That is not expected.
(I also don't recall this happening the last time I tried it, but
that may have been years ago.)

Is this simply a bug in ntpd?

7.3-PRERELEASE from yesterday.