Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 10:21:12 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        chat@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Concerning PC Mags pitiful mention of FreeBSD

Hey all!  I'm writing to let you know about something that really bugged me
in PC Magazine.

Ok, this is concerning the ariticle in PC Magazine's March edition (Vol.
18, No. 6 Marche 23, 1999).  To make a long story short, they had like too
articles on Linux and the GPL.  The first one was some editors note, then
the other was a full blown Unix timeline, installation guide, and
comparisons between 4 different distributions.

Well actually, they called it more of an "Open Source" aritcle.  Not just a
Linux article.

Okay, I guess I can get passed the Linux thing. What bugged me the most is
that they explained the differences between the GPL and the BSD license
(very brieftly).  They even sort of made the BSD license sound kinda bad.
And they went on to mention that FreeBSD and Apache was under the BSD
license but in *really* small print. FreeBSD also got a brief mention in
their "timeline".  But it never really went to explaining what FreeBSD is.

That's what bugged me!! grrrrr  Well, okay so the Linux article bugged me
too.  If they're gonna claim to be talking about Open Source Software then
don't just mention *one* damn Operating System when there is alot more than
just one.  Hell, they didn't even really mention Hurd (which is GPL).  It
just goes to show their ignorance.

I'm considering writing the editor a letter explaining the merits of the
BSD license and also explaining how great the BSD's are.  Sure they have a
time line that mentions BSD, but they seem not to appreciate what BSD has
done for us.  If not for BSD and the CSRG (the DoD too) the Internet might
have not happpened.  The Internet!! Something that we all have grown to
love (or hate -- if you get alot of spam or your gf ran off with some guy
that she met on IRC).

Maybe if these Magazine editors got enough mail about the BSD's (BSDi,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD) they might publish a similar article.  We have to
remind them of all the big Internet players that run BSD based software.
It might work.

Anyways, I just needed to vent.  Thanks for listening.

Joey

PS If you want to contact the editor, here's his email address: pcmag@zd.com