Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:13:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Hans Huebner <hans@Huebner.ORG>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP prepaid accounting

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> sorry if i lost part of the discussion, but why dont you
> just associate a quota with a rule and specify one of the
> two possible results when exceeding quota:

>    ipfw <action> <match pattern> match-upto 20MB
>    ipfw <action> <match pattern> deny-above 20MB

> where the first syntax does not match when the rule's counters
> are above the quota, the second one denies the pkt when above quota.

> It looks of trivial implementation and rather easy to understand.
> You'd just need a new ipfw command to increase/decrease/set counters to
> a specific value rather than just zero them.

This is indeed true.  Implementation would be simple.  I'm not convinced that
it would be easier to use, though:  With the quotas being detached from the
counters, they are easy to reference and check.  It is also easier to assign
traffic to combined quotas by seperate rules, which may or may not be
desirable.

Given that I implemented my proposal (together with phk's requested
additions) already, the implementation triviality is not so much of an
issue.

In a nutshell:  What I want is the functionality and I can offer to implement
it myself.  I want to have it in -CURRENT and -STABLE as soon as possible so
that I do not have to bear with private patches, especially in the face of the
change being relevant to both user mode programs and the kernel.  If the
original proposal and implementation is not good enough, I'll just do it
again, but then I'd want you committers to agree that the change will be
commited eventually 8)

Thanks for your time,
Hans

--