Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:49:20 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DocBook XML/SGML

-On [20020329 12:15], Jun Kuriyama (kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp) wrote:

[difference between SGML and XML DocBook]

>Do you want to use different version of docbook-xml at same time?

Yes.

>I think docbook-xml is on-going project, so I prefer to use *latest*
>distribution of docbook-xml.

So is DocBook-SGML.  With 4.1.2 being the latest for XML and 4.1 for SGML
and both being DocBook 4.1.

4.2 will introduce no backwards incompatible changes, but 5.0 will if I
remember the discussions correctly.

>If docbook-xml project branches like as -stable and -current, I'll
>fork this port to have version-number in port name.

The DocBook project at OASIS creates new revisions of the DocBook
``language'' with distinct version numbers to signify major changes and/or
minor changes/fixes.
The then release this in the form of DTDs and related files in XML and SGML
form.

Other than the abstract language to describe the DocBook language there is
no difference between the XML and SGML DocBook release, and every version
has different semantics, for example:

DocBook v4.x[.x] changed a number of tags from 3.x, like Comment became
remark.  Some got removed: BookBiblio and SeriesInfo, some tags got more
options, like RevHistory on QandAEntry.

If we keep on tracking docbook-xml in one port we will bump into these
problems sooner or later, since we are using features which will not be
present in a newer version or now have slightly different semantics.
In this way it acts just like the SGML ports.

I hope this clarifies the issue some,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai / Kita no Mono
asmodai@[wxs.nl|xmach.org], finger asmodai@ninth-circle.org