Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:52:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what slice did I boot from?

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> Hmm.. I'm running a 4.4-STABLE based system on the hardware, and
> don't seem to have any problem booting off the other slice.  Right
> now, it's runnong on the second slice of ATA Compact Flash disk:
>
> # kenv
> LINES="24"
> console="vidconsole"
> currdev="disk0s2a:"
> interpret="ok"
> kernel="/kernel"
> kernel_options=""
> kernelname="/kernel"
> loaddev="disk0s2a:"
> root_disk_unit="0"
> vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/ad0s2a"
> #

You're playing the same trick I am, just in more words :)  Which slice is
loader.conf on?

> It would be just fine to have the boot0 boot manager be the mechanism
> to do all this.  That's an easy toggle between the two alternatives,
> though harder to do an automatic fallback, perhaps.

You try boot0 ... that's where my problem showed up. One would boot but
the other says "Invalid partition." This is a heavily hacked install
though (since sysinstall won't let you put a second / into a second slice
when a first FreeBSD slice already exists).

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org