Date:      Thu, 07 May 2009 17:32:06 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
Subject:   Re: xcb-util 0.3.4 breaks awesome

--=-a+4X2YH2toaQ1Uhn4L4S

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 02:07 +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Josh Rickmar (joshua_rickmar@eumx.net) wrote:
>=20
> That's quite complicated problem actually - xcb-util update has
> broken awesome; we could update awesome to 3.3-rc1, but it requires
> startup-notification 0.10 (which likely requires new xcb-util as
> well).
>=20
> Thus we'll likely have to wait for s-n 0.10 and consider awesome
> broken for now. Meanwhile, awesome users are recommended to not
> upgrade from/downgrade to xcb-util 0.3.3.
>=20
> This is really our fault as there should've been more testing and
> coordination with this update.

Holding back X or it's sub-components is really not an option.  The
applications have to keep up.  xcb-util doesn't fall under my umbrella,
exactly, but I do update it in Xorg sweeps on occasion.  Unless the
damage is widespread progress must continue.  Awesome needs to be
patched, updated or marked BROKEN temporarily.

robert.

--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD