Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 14:52:14 +0100
From:      "Philippe Charnier" <charnier@lirmm.fr>
To:        "Boudet Thierry(cnama23)" <cnama23@corail.cict.fr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: french keyboard

Salut,

In the message french keyboard,
"Boudet Thierry(cnama23)" <cnama23@corail.cict.fr> wrote :

>	hello
>
>	i'm installing freebsd 2.0 frow the Walnut Creek CD.
>
>	how can i make my french keyboard (AZERTYUIOP) work
>	whith FreeBsd ???

you should check that fr.iso.kbd is part of your /usr/share/syscons/keymaps
directory, if so add the line
kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr.iso.kbd
at the end of /etc/rc.local

(if not, get one at ftp.ibp.fr:/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/....)

this will activate french keyboard during the next reboot but for now, just
run this command.

If you want to run X, you also can add a file .xmomaprc in your home directory,
containing something like:

keycode 0x0A =  ampersand       1
keycode 0x0B =  eacute          2               asciitilde
keycode 0x0C =  quotedbl        3               numbersign
keycode 0x0D =  apostrophe      4               braceleft
keycode 0x0E =  parenleft       5               bracketleft
keycode 0x0F =  minus           6               bar
keycode 0x10 =  egrave          7               grave
keycode 0x11 =  underscore      8               backslash
keycode 0x12 =  ccedilla        9               asciicircum
keycode 0x13 =  agrave          0               at
keycode 0x14 =  parenright      degree          bracketright
keycode 0x15 =  equal           plus            braceright

keycode 0x71 =  Mode_switch

clear Mod1
clear Mod5
add   Mod1 = Alt_L
add   Mod5 = Mode_switch

and add the following in your .xinitrc (for startx) or .xsession (for xdm)

xmodmap  .xmodmaprc

Note that I bought a US keyboard 2 years ago, and don't use the french :-)
Philippe Charnier                                      charnier@lirmm.fr

         LIRMM, 161 rue Ada, 34392 Montpellier cedex 5 -- France