Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 18:15:20 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
To:        'Ernst de Haan' <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   RE: Linux JDK 1.2.2 RC4

> bash-2.03# ./java
> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> Abort trap
> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> Abort trap
> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> Abort trap
> ./java: /bin/realpath: not found
> ./java: /bin/realpath: not found
> java was not found in /bin/i386/green_threads/java
> bash-2.03#
>
> This is probably a lack of know-how on my side, as others
> have installed
> it successfully, as it seems. I checked `man brandelf', and I
> tried:
>
> bash-2.03# brandelf -t Linux *

Rule #1 in Java: don't read the error message itself, but what *caused* the
error message. In this case: Linux is not running on your machine. I had the
same just last night, and I too read the brandelf manual page and tried to
brandelf java. <:)

> In both the bin/i386/green_threads and bin/i386/native_threads
> directories, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Any cents
> left? Pleez?
> Pretty pleeez? ;)

Enable the linux emulator on your machine. Add something like
linux_enable="YES" to your rc.conf to make linux emulation start every time
you reboot.

    Kees Jan