Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:14:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, lev@imc.macro.ru (Lev Serebryakov), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG (All)
Subject:   Re: ipfw log accounting

> In message <20000228215904.B31743@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>,
> "Crist J. Cl
> ark" writes:
> > On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:46:53AM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >   And one more question:
> > >   How could I write rule, which skip all broadcast traffic? My
> > >   computer is on big provider's net, and here is more than one
> > >   broadcast address (many subnets on one wire)...
> >
> > Never tried this and haven't glanced at the source to see if it has a
> > chance of working, but _theoretically_ is there a reason that,
> >
> >              deny ip from 0.0.0.255:0.0.0.255 to any
> >
> > A "reversed" netmask won't work?
>
> Been there done that.  This works using either IPFW or IP Filter,
> however you'll want to code it as the following, as the destination is
> the broadcast address:

Actually you need to be a bit selective, your host is going to have
a real hard time doing arp's if you block all broadcast packets.  Make
sure you have a directly connected network specific ``allow'' of broadcast
destinations.

Also you really do want to block source broadcast address packets too,
they are often abuse by attacks.  Ping with src address = bcast and
watch all the icmp fly when the echo reply goes back to the bcast
address (need broken host that will do this on the network) :-(.

> 	deny ip from any to 0.0.0.255:0.0.0.255
>
> Or if you use IP Filter,
>
> 	block in on xl0 from any to 0.0.0.255:0.0.0.255

And do add:

deny ip from 0.0.0.255:0.0.0.255 to any

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net