Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:24:47 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        sos@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA woes

Hello,

Following your advice, I have installed a recent snapshot (4.1-20001029-STABLE) on one of my
broken PCs (I've followed UPDATING with the now classical make buildworld, make
buildkernel, make installXXX ...)

I have let this machine run "make buildworld" during all of the night, and I still have got a freeze
of the box (as the console gets redirected to a serial port which was not connected at that time,
I do not have the error message <-(( - nevertheless, the symptoms are clear : the compilation
has stopped in the middle of the make buildworld, and the machine was completely frozen).

I have gone back to PIO mode, and I'm trying to avoid disk acces as much as possible, so this
situation is not critical.

However, I would like to help and understand what happens : what can I do to investigate on
the matter ? (are there "debugging hooks" in the ata drivers ?) I have two boxes which can
be dedicated to this kind of tests.

     Cheers

     TfH