Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:57:25 -0500
From:      Nathan Denny <SCHCATS@siu.edu>
To:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disk problems...

Sigh...After MANY attempts, I'm still where I started at.
The error message is "Written -1 of 512 bytes".  The debug screen
shows "unexpected eof invlaid gzip" or something.

At first, I thought it was a corrupted file.  I downloaded the files
from TWO different sites.  I've attempted at both release 2.1.0, and 2.1.5
I've used different floppies to install from.  I've even tried installing it on
two different machines.  A 486DLC w/ WD850MB IDE and a 386DX w/ 2 114MB IDE
disks.

Each installation, on each computer crashes on bin.cl

Also, both computers throw a warning that the computed sectors/cylinder does
not match the disk label.  On the 386DX this was a GROSS miscalculation,
something like 4096 calculated compared to 255 as per the label.
The drive geometry is 927 cylinders, 15 heads, and 17 sectors so 255 should be
right, right?  (Where is FreeBSD getting 4096?)

I've also tried installing (on the 386DX) from a DOS partition.  In this case
each time, the system crashes on bin.ap with the same error.  (When installed
from floppy bin.ap works ok.)

On the 386, I've dedicated all of both disks to FreeBSD, do not want another OS
on the disks.  So I let it try the 1/1/1 geometry and it still fails on the same
file.

Ugh...I must have the touch of death with FreeBSD.  I can't get it to work on
either of the two systems, right now.

Please help (again)!
                                                               Nate:SCHCATS!