Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:26:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        nisha@cs.berkeley.edu, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote...
>  * I have a Quantum Atlas disk drive that appears to
>  * be doing some form of delayed write optimization.
>  * Is there any OS command or mode page change that can
>  * turn it off?
>
> You mean to turn off write caching?  I *think* it's the "WCE" (write
> cache enable) bit on modepage 8.
>
> You can edit it by the command
>
>   camcontrol modepage -e -m 8 /dev/pass0
>
> (omit the "-e" to just show the values).

That's probably not quite what you want to do.  You can't specify a device
pathname with camcontrol.

Instead, if you wanted to edit mode page 8 for pass0:

camcontrol modepage -n pass -u 0 -m 8 -P 3 -e

Otherwise, camcontrol will probably reject /dev/pass0 as garbage and
default to editing mode page 8 on da0.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry