Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:11:11 +0400
From:      "Mikhail (Plus Plus)" <m@plus-plus.su>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help with ZFS

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> I'm running your test on pretty low-end h/w (i386, 1GB of RAM, two cores)
> and cannot reproduce the problem for few hours now. The only tuning I did
> was to set vm.kmem_size to 1GB. You still need to do this very tuning even
> on amd64.

Thanks for your response.
I just opened server case, and one of the possible reasons why system
panics could be due to faulty hardware.. At least right now I see one
SATA controller not sitting properly in it's slot. This could be due to
bad transportation from colo DC.

I'm going to fix all these small hardware-related issues and will re-run
tests once again.

Below is a list of settings you requested:

> 	# sysctl vm.kmem_size

vm.kmem_size: 2753769472

> 	# sysctl vm.kmem_size_max

vm.kmem_size_max: 329853485875

> 	# sysctl vfs.zfs

vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit: 430276480
vfs.zfs.arc_meta_used: 1534208
vfs.zfs.mdcomp_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.arc_min: 215138240
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 1721105920
vfs.zfs.zfetch.array_rd_sz: 1048576
vfs.zfs.zfetch.block_cap: 256
vfs.zfs.zfetch.min_sec_reap: 2
vfs.zfs.zfetch.max_streams: 8
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.recover: 0
vfs.zfs.txg.synctime: 5
vfs.zfs.txg.timeout: 30
vfs.zfs.scrub_limit: 10
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.bshift: 16
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size: 10485760
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.max: 16384
vfs.zfs.vdev.aggregation_limit: 131072
vfs.zfs.vdev.ramp_rate: 2
vfs.zfs.vdev.time_shift: 6
vfs.zfs.vdev.min_pending: 4
vfs.zfs.vdev.max_pending: 35
vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.zil_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.version.zpl: 3
vfs.zfs.version.vdev_boot: 1
vfs.zfs.version.spa: 13
vfs.zfs.version.dmu_backup_stream: 1
vfs.zfs.version.dmu_backup_header: 2
vfs.zfs.version.acl: 1
vfs.zfs.debug: 0
vfs.zfs.super_owner: 0

> 	# zpool status

   pool: mp3pool
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         mp3pool     ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad24    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad8     ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad18    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad20    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad22    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ad10    ONLINE       0     0     0
         spares
           ad26      AVAIL

errors: No known data errors

> 	# zpool list

NAME      SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
mp3pool  5.44T  3.54T  1.90T    65%  ONLINE  -

> 	# zfs get all <your_test_fs>

NAME     PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
mp3pool  type                  filesystem             -
mp3pool  creation              Thu Feb 12 23:02 2009  -
mp3pool  used                  2.94T                  -
mp3pool  available             1.51T                  -
mp3pool  referenced            2.94T                  -
mp3pool  compressratio         1.00x                  -
mp3pool  mounted               yes                    -
mp3pool  quota                 none                   default
mp3pool  reservation           none                   default
mp3pool  recordsize            128K                   default
mp3pool  mountpoint            /mp3pool               default
mp3pool  sharenfs              off                    default
mp3pool  checksum              on                     default
mp3pool  compression           off                    default
mp3pool  atime                 on                     default
mp3pool  devices               on                     default
mp3pool  exec                  on                     default
mp3pool  setuid                on                     default
mp3pool  readonly              off                    default
mp3pool  jailed                off                    default
mp3pool  snapdir               hidden                 default
mp3pool  aclmode               groupmask              default
mp3pool  aclinherit            restricted             default
mp3pool  canmount              on                     default
mp3pool  shareiscsi            off                    default
mp3pool  xattr                 off                    temporary
mp3pool  copies                1                      default
mp3pool  version               3                      -
mp3pool  utf8only              off                    -
mp3pool  normalization         none                   -
mp3pool  casesensitivity       sensitive              -
mp3pool  vscan                 off                    default
mp3pool  nbmand                off                    default
mp3pool  sharesmb              off                    default
mp3pool  refquota              none                   default
mp3pool  refreservation        none                   default
mp3pool  primarycache          all                    default
mp3pool  secondarycache        all                    default

> And place /var/run/dmesg.boot somewhere?

http://91.206.231.132/~miha/zfs.dmesg.boot

Thanks,
Mikhail.