Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:55:11 -0500
From:      "Yuichiro Abe" <y_abe@sprynet.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   About PPPoE

To FreeBSD.org and Mr.Beisser

Let me ask you about the file /etc/hosts. and I will answer your question
first.

> before going in this direction, are you sure your network connection is
> up? can you ping hosts through the link?

I put the command, "ping localhost" and "ping y-abe" where "y-abe" is the
name I put for my computer. Then I got the message below.

PING localhost.my.domain. (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
and looped.
----

I think localhost works correctly. Am I right? But I got the messge when I
excuted for y-abe. The messge I got is below.

PING y-abe.my.domain (216.175.70.95): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
and looped.
----

I believe that this file must be something wrong. If I am correct, The IP
address is wrong. The IP address I used is what I got automatically when I
connected to the net.

Let me answer your question you asked before.
> > name_of_service_provider:        // I put "sprynet"
> >  set device PPPoE:xl0                // xl0 is the port that my ethernet
card is on.
> >  set MRU 1454
> >  set MTU 1454
> >  set authname login_name@domainname        // My login ID I got from ISP
> >  set authkey my password                              // My password I
got from ISP
> >  set dial
> >  set login
> >  add default HISADDR
> >  accept CHAP
> >  enable dns

Here is my /etc/hosts file.

127.0.0.1  y-abe.jpn.ph  y-abe        // I got y-abe.jpn.ph from another
site for Dynamic DNS
127.0.0.1  y-abe.jpn.ph.
216.175.70.95 y-abe.jpn.ph  y-abe    // IP address is from that site.
216.175.70.95 y-abe.jpn.ph.

since I thought that /etc/hosts was wrong, I changed the file above to the
below.

127.0.0.1  localhost.my.domain  localhost
216.175.70.95 y-abe.my.domain  y-abe

Did I do something wrong?

> ok, on 127.0.0.1. you should leave that line as "127.0.0.1 localhost
> localhost.domain" (with domain set to your TLD, of course).

Let me ask you something stupid. What does TLD stand for? And what does it
mean?

Sincerely,
Yuichiro Abe