Date:      Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:22:24 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewalling a PPPoE, any easy workaround to MTU on lan stations ?

John Telford wrote:

> I'm putting  a 4.2 R firewall in for a ppoe connection. (sympatico)
> Is there any workaround I can use so I don't have to reduce the MTU on all
> the internal stations ?
> It's a mix of Windows 9x and Macs. And I've found only one utility capable
> of adjusting MTU on Macs.
> Can anything be done on the freebsd box as the traffic goes through it ?
> Thanks in advance, John.
> P.S. the pppoe setup went fine thanks to a page at www.sympaticousers.org
> and some further notes at www.freebsddiary.org

ppp now has an option where it will force the negotiated packet size
of new tcp sessions going through it down. (i.e it fiddles with the packets)
check the man page.. I THINK it may be in 4.2, if not it's in -Stable

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001