Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:33:26 -0500
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
To:        e.knight@ix.netcom.com (Edward F. Knight)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE

DISCLAIMER: I have NO connection with Walnut Creek, or FreeBSD, except as a
satisfied customer.

At 08:31 PM 9/7/95 -0400, Edward F. Knight wrote:
>>They say it is comming out this month.  However,  It will take Walnut Creek
>Cdrom probably 3 to 4 weeks to get the CDs manufactured after the release is
>issued.  Then If you are a subscriber you will be last in the queue to get
>the CDROM.  I have been told by the folks at Walnut Creek that when they get
>product if someone calls in that their CDROM will be shipped the same day
>and that subscribers to the product have to wait for one mass pressing of
>the cdrom which costs them approximately $0.67 and they sell for $39 regular
>and $25 for subscription.  Their attitude towards those of of us who have
>been supporting them through subscription is convoluted.

It's referred to as "production efficiencies". The cost goes so far down
because THEY GAVE THE VENDOR MORE TIME TO DO IT. The vendor can schedule his
machines and set up things to offer an attractive price.

39/25: Giving me a 35-40% discount for pre-ordering (so they CAN PLAN AHEAD
for the mass pressing) is, to me, a good deal. They could just charge 39 to
everybody.

>While I'm on a roll,  I can't quite figure out where the dividing line
>between FreeBSD.org and Walnut Creek Cdrom is.  Many of the "officials" of
>FreeBSD.org are employyees of Walnut Creek Cdrom.

Gee, let's see .... Walnut Creek pays salary, vacation benefits, sick time,
Social Security, Unemployment tax, Medicare, State taxes (remember they are
in California!) and god knows how many other costs, so that we have access
to low-cost unix software (AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO BUY THE CD, Walnut
Creek provides FREE FTP SERVICE!)

>Since there will be those who take the opposing point of view just to take
>the opposing point of view, I welcome their comments.  These comments should
>make humorous bedtime reading which will ultimately help me fall asleep.
>
>Ted Knight

Then there are those who take the opposing view because your view appears to
have been developed by the "Ted Knight" from the Mary Tyler Moore show.

Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
AOS/VS, FreeBSD, DOS:
I'm caught in a maze of twisty little command interpreters, all different.