Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:47:29 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting two sites with fiber

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 04:20:16PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> I've got a fiber connection between two buildings and need to setup
> networks in each building so they can talk to each other at full-duplex
> fast ethernet speeds.
>
> I know very little about fiber connections.  The fiber cables are
> labeled as follows:
>
>   Chromatic Technologies 800 series 62 5/125 Optical Fiber Cable per
>   article 770 Type OFNP (UL) CSA LL82385 Type OFN-FT6 75C
>
> What is this telling me?  Can I setup a FreeBSD router box on each
> end with fiber (FDDI?) interfaces to each other?  Is a switch on
> each side an easier solution?  Will this cable even support 100Mbps
> full-duplex speeds between the two networks?
>
> We'd like to use the existing connection, as it would be more costly
> to replace it (re-run wires underground).

I'm not expert, but poking around with google in in my new Black Box
catalog seems to indicate that you've got standard plenum rated
multi-mode fiber.  The "62 5/125" part probably refers to the standard
62.5um/125um glass.  The OFNP is it's UL rating.  Since it's plenum
rated, it burns more slowly then normal plastic cable and the smoke is
less toxic.  This stuff should run 100Mbps no problem.  You should be
able to connect two NICs with multi-mode fiber trancievers (either
onboard or external) or two switches with no problem.  I don't think
there is much fiber out there that doesn't do 100Mbps.  You do often
need better fiber to Gigabit Ethernet and you'll definatly need it for
10 Gigabit Ethernet in 2001.

-- Brooks