Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:44:50 +0300
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>
To:        Shaun Amott <shaun@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Shaun Amott wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:31:58AM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>> so FreeBSD could be supported also. As you can imagine, it is not only
>> important that data can be restored when a box hardware failure etc. it is
>> also important that data can be restored if deleted by accidents etc. While
>> traditional backup programs provide this functionality, you cant really go
>> back to 10 min or 1h ago, often they take daily backups and have to scan
>> whole filesystem for changed files every time the backup is taken which
>> stresses out the systems.
>>

> This can (more or less) be achieved with snapshots: you can cheaply
> maintain old versions of the file system, and mount an old snapshot at
> any time. Hourly is about as fine-grained as you can expect though.

The documentation says one cant do more than 20 snapshots.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/snapshots.html

Although 20 could be enough combined with a normal backup program. As
far as I understand creating snapshots will consume disk space, and
freeze the disk writes for a certain amount of time, every time (I read
5 seconds for 8GB system
http://www.wave2.org/2007/10/08/mysql-snapshots-on-freebsd/ ) snapshot
is created. The snapshots are stored in the local filesystem and it
would require manually transferring the data to a remote machine.

More importantly, as far as I understand, if the hard drive totally
fails, there would be no way to restore a snapshot anymore unless we
have a dump of the whole filesystem and first restore it and make sure
everything is exactly at the right blocks in the drive. No?

Although this probably could be worked out. In my opinion it requires a
lot of work, Bbt thanks for the advice. Just that I would rather pay a
small amount of fee and use Linux and use a continous backup software
which works as easy as install and run. Which also provides utilities
for easily recovering files or the whole filesystem or disk.

Thanks again for pointing out snapshots. It is more or less suitable :)

Thanks,
Evren