Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:18:41 -0400
From:      "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs@gwi.net>
To:        <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Minor issues of time on PPC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garance A Drosihn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
> We have two ntp servers on campus, and I'll change my ntp.conf
> to use both of them instead of just one.  I've always meant to
> do that anyway.

I'd add one more, as with two NTP servers, ntpd can still decided that
it's better than the outside world and ignore external servers.  With
3 telling it the same thing, it doesn't get arrogant. : )

>>example /etc/rc.conf settings:
>>ntpdate_enable="YES"
>>ntpdate_flags="-g -q -N high"
>>ntpdate_program="/usr/sbin/ntpd"
>
> Okay, so I added these to rc.conf, and did:
>
>   (38)  /etc/rc.d/ntpdate start
>   Setting date via ntp.
>   usage: /usr/sbin/ntpd [ -abdgmnqx ] [ -c config_file ] [ -e
> e_delay ]
>                   [ -f freq_file ] [ -k key_file ] [ -l log_file ]
>                   [ -p pid_file ] [ -r broad_delay ] [ -s statdir ]
>                   [ -t trust_key ] [ -v sys_var ] [ -V
> default_sysvar ]
>
> There is no -N supported.  So I dropped that, and still got the
> error message.  Turns out that the way /etc/rc.d/ntpdate works,
> it ends up running:
>    /usr/sbin/ntpd -g -q ntp.rpi.edu ntp1.rpi.edu
>
> I changed the rc.conf to add:
>    ntpdate_hosts="-c /etc/ntp.conf"
>
> and then got:
>    (43)  /etc/rc.d/ntpdate start
>    Setting date via ntp.
>    ntpd: time set +9.014549s
>
> My guess is that few people have tried to config ntpdate in this
> manner.  Looking at /etc/defaults/rc.conf, maybe I should set:
>    ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
>    ntpdate_enable="NO"
>
>>xntpd_enable="YES"
>>xntpd_flags="-g -p /var/run/ntpd.pid"
>
> These variables don't exist.  Are you working with the /etc/rc
> files from an earlier release of FreeBSD?  In 6.x, there is
> no 'x' in the variable names.

I guess with 6.x they've changed things on me.  I primarily play with
4.x, and used my 386 as a refrence typing up those examples.  My bad.
: )  Looks like you worked around my mistakes cleanly enough though.

Lets see how it turns out with some run time.

Joshua Coombs