Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:23:44 GMT
From:      Keve Nagy <wforms@safe-mail.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/119295: FreeBSD i386 6.2-RELEASE does not load on core2duo iMac

>Number:         119295
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD i386 6.2-RELEASE does not load on core2duo iMac
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This is just to report that I was unable to install FreeBSD on my new iMac because the i386 install CD of FreeBSD 6.2R hangs before getting to the sysinstall menu. The hardware in question is one of the latest intel based Macintosh, the 24-inch aluminum iMac with a 2.4 GHz intel core-2-duo processor, 320 GB SATA disk and 1 GB memory.

The CD boots up, beastie-menu shows up, the system starts loading but it never gets to the sysinstall menu.
Due to the nature of the problem I was unable to grab a dmesg output.
The place where the system stops loading and hangs is where the detected harddisks and optical drives are printed out in the dmesg messages.
Selecting "safe-mode" or "acpi off" in the beastie-menu does not change this issue.
I tried "boot -v" but it didn't show me anything around the hang-up which would make identifying the source of the problem any simpler.

It would be nice to know how this CD works on the latest core-2-duo based Mac Pro, Mac mini or MacBook models.
It surely worked for me on an earlier core-duo based MacBook Pro (not core-2-duo, just core-duo).

>How-To-Repeat:
Try to boot the FreeBSD/i386 6.2-RELEASE CD in one of the latest intel based aluminum iMacs. The ones with a core-2-duo processor.