Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:14:19 +0200
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   MIME types, links, diff tools (was: Re: Patch to cvsweb?)

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 05:43, Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account) wrote:
> I agree that using CVS's "b" (binary) flag is a good hint.
>
> But why hard code the response?

Hm... I may have been unclear (or I may be missing something), but I was
not thinking about hardcoding anything in particular.  Except kind of
that for files we know (somehow, possibly using the "b" flag) are
binary, I think it would make sense _not_ to show any "as text",
HTMLified source, regular diff or annotate links since the output would
be a mess anyway.

>   For each combination of binary flag and
> mime type, I might want select allowable diff and download types
> independently:
>
> Diff as:
>     text
>     colored
>     side-by-side

I would not show those difftypes for binary files (again, assuming we
have some robust/consistent way of determining exactly what is a "binary
file").

>     shape_diff.exe (external)
>     exell_diff.exe (external)

These, on the other hand, would be shown for all files that have these
dedicated diff tools set (probably based on the MIME type), no matter if
binary or not.

> Download as:
>     Native mime type (e.g. "application/msword")
>     As text

Again, I would skip the "as text" link if we know the file will most
likely not be viewable as text anyway.

Of course, as a safety measure against detection bugs, there could be a
"sticky" option somewhere for users to choose whether they'd want to see
the "intelligent, detected" set of diff/download/view options, or all of
them.  And probably default that to the "intelligent" set.

Diffing archive contents adds another level of complexity, whether to
use plain "diff -r" or dedicated tools for diffing each file in the
arcive separately, and how to sanely combine the results of different
diff tools if the latter way is chosen.

Thoughts?