Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:31:18 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

Jose M. Alcaide:
 |joeo@cracktown.com:
 |> There's the DRI-CVS repository at sourceforge...
 |> There's also the XFree86-CVS head branch...
 |
 |I am trying to activate DRI to no avail. I built XFree86 (4.1.99.4) from
 |XFree86-CVS head branch, and I also built the FreeBSD modules in
 |programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/drm/kernel with no problems.
 |When I uncomment "Load dri" in XF86Config, the machine reboots inmediately
 |after starting the Xserver.

I exprerienced the same result when I did just as you did, "before" I
installed and loaded the DRM module (mga.ko in my case) into my kernel.
There's something weird about XFree86 CVS w/o a DRM module loaded that
needs some debugging.  I found I could suppress this reboot either by
commenting out the glx, dri, and GLcore modules in XF86Config, or by adding
the mga_load line to my loader.conf.

But I see you have an r128.ko module loaded.  Are you sure this is from the
XFree86 CVS build?  Might be worth a double check.

Also I notice you have agp, acpi, and sound drivers loaded as modules.
This is probably irrelevent, but I had those compiled into my kernel (just
looking for anything different you mentioned from what worked here).  Also
5.0-current vs. 4.3-stable w/ patches.  Rage 128 Pro vs. Matrox G450.  ...

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com