Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 03:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deltas for sys/kern/vfs_syscalls.c and sys/kern/vfs_subr.c

--- Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:45:32PM +0100, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> > I am submitting a patch which removes the register keyword from
> > sys/kern/vfs_syscalls.c.  The reason I am doing this is very simple.
> >
> > The 'register' keyword has no effect, as compilers do enough
> optimizations
> > on their own.   Also, I have seen commits made before which do the same
> > thing which I am doing now.  I have talked about this patch with
> jmallett,
> > and various other developers.
> >
> > This patch is located at:
> > http://storm.uk.FreeBSD.org/~hiten/diffs/vfs_syscalls.diff.1
>
>   Looks good.

Cool.  Any chance of getting it committed.  Note,  I also did an md(5) test
and both vfs_syscalls.o came out with the same checksum.

> > The second issue, is what I am not very sure about, but I had a little
> > discussion about this with rwatson.  The vfs_subr.c module contains
> > a large #if 0'ed section, which basically contains some sysctls.  I
> > think it has been forgotten for removal, so I am submitting a delta which
> > can be used to remove that #if 0'ed section.
> >
> > Note, I am not very sure about this, that is why I am posting this to
> > -hackers.
> >
> > The patch is located at:
> > http://storm.uk.FreeBSD.org/~hiten/diffs/vfs_subr.c.diff.1
>
>   I don't think that removing the code is a problem.  The real person to
>   ask would be dillon, since he was the one who placed the #if 0 around
>   the block.

Matt, what do you think about it; do you think that there is chance of
removing that section of code?  It has been lying there for ages.  If you
think it can be removed, I will be greatful if you can commit my delta for
it.

Regards,

  -- Hiten