Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 95 12:25:56 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

> As I said earler, This mail wasn't suppost to be sent. My mistake. I'm
> sorry. What I was really responding to was a interpretation on my part that
> you were saying, that Sun's do async writes by default, and what you just
> did say, that SVR4 (in the generic case) does as well. As others have
> pointed out Sun does sync writes by default and belives some sort of
> NVRAM is required to support safe async writes in NFS today.

No problem.  I made the response last night, before your other post,
so we're kind of interleaved on I/O ourselves.  8-).

> I had put my response aside to refer to both the SVID and the pre V3 NFS spec
> before commenting and I sure I would have revised my initial response
> which is more akin to talking to myself that actually directed at you.

In all fairness, I have to make the claim that SVID III is worse than
useless.  AT&T/USL/Novell UNIX has failed SVID III compliance for a
long time now (though not failed compliance testing) mostly because of
the getitimer/setitimer/gettimeofday.  It's the main reason that their
select() implementation sucks out.  I tried for a year to get this
corrected, going so far as to totally rewrite the UnixWare timer code
and write a working QIC-40/QIC-80 tape driver that used the modified
code to try and get them to accept it into their source tree.  No dice.

> I've since checked SVID 3 and it says nothing about the expected behaviour
> of NFS writes, so I say that in SVR4 its an implementation detail. I haven't
> today checked the V2 NFS spec as to what it says about async writes, so I
> won't comment further on conformance.

I agree that it's an implementation detail.  I have my NFSv3 here, but
my NFSv2 is at home right now, so I really can't comment authoritatively
on compliance with v2 either.  My memory tells me that async writes are
non-compliant.

> The result was that I snapped at you. And for that I apologize.

Like I said, no problem.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---