Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 06:45:41 +0900
From:      Masafumi NAKANE/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= <max@wide.ad.jp>
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        max@wide.ad.jp, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ldconfig problem

    jdp> Hmm, these both look OK.  The shared libraries in the second
    jdp> case are mapped one page higher than in the first case, but
    jdp> that doesn't indicate a problem.  Before mapping any shared
    jdp> libraries, the dynamic linker maps the entire
    jdp> "/var/run/ld.so.hints" file into memory.  In the second case,
    jdp> that file is probably one page larger than in the first case,
    jdp> because it has the extra libraries from
    jdp> "/usr/local/lib/m3/FreeBSD2" in it.

    jdp> Does kaffe use dlopen(), or LD_PRELOAD, or any other unusual
    jdp> features of the dynamic linker?
I'm not really sure about this.  But, it looks it uses dlopen as
several files contain the string ``dlopen''.

    jdp> Can you examine the core file with a debugger and try to
    jdp> figure out what it's doing when it dies?
Guess what!  Things are getting worse.  (At least it seems to me that
way.)  I started up gdb and and did ``help set'' to find out some
stuff.  Gdb gave me the first page of the help screen as usual, but as
I hit return key to go onto the next page, it died on signal 3 with
following message after showing the second page:

    gdb internal error: Memory corruption
    Quit (core dumped)

This error is not affected by ld.so.hints change.  It happens
regardless of whether kaffe runs or not.  So, I guess now we have to
do some investigation on gdb.... ;_)

Do you think having CFLAGS=-O -pipe -m486 in /etc/make.conf coud be
causing these errors?  After I discovered gdb's error, I rebuilt
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/{gdb,ld} with -O and -m486 removed from
/etc/make.conf, but things don't change.  Should I do make world
without those flags and try again?

Max