Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:48:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        vaclav.petricek@mff.cuni.cz
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACL and TEST MODE 15

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.50.0306202118570.32328-100000@sec.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
            Vaclav Petricek <vaclav.petricek@mff.cuni.cz> writes:
: Looking at Warner's wi-power.diff I am wandering what use is the section
: setting WI_DEBUG_CONFBITS. Is it a trick to make future txpower adjustment
: without disabling ACL?

You must disable ACL to adjust the power.  You are going behind the
firmware's back with the patches.  You can set the power all day long,
but if ACL is enabled it sets it back a few hundred milliseconds
later.

: Using this patch I am able to set the txpower but as the ACL is not
: disabled the change is reverted immediatelly.

That's what the A in ACL is: Automatic :-).  Your setting the register
behind its back is not 'noted' and used as a max power or anything.

: On a point to point link I
: would like to keep the ACL but I want to be able to limit the maximum
: txpower so that I do not exceed local regulations but that would require
: some more work I guess.

You can't do it.  Setting the power 'often' is a really bad idea,
according to other posts that I've seen.

: As I have not yet obtained the driver programmers manual from
: intersil (NDA required) I am not sure of the correct values to fill in
: wreq structure when issuing the TEST MODE 15 command. Can anyone share the
: values with me (if the NDA allows)?

No.  That's what the NDA is about.  :-) The docs under NDA that I have
don't describe this at all.  I looked at the linux driver to find out
how.  In addition, there were some other clues posted to the soekris
technical list in the last couple of days.

Warner