Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:55:35 +0100
From:      Salvatore Montefusco <sm@brightpebbles.org>
To:        girgen@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: postgresql-server-8.0.1

Hi,
I'm running Freebsd 5.3 and recently installed the
postgresql-server-8.0.1 port.

Adding custom postgresql_data="/somewhere" in rc.conf, I get an error
when /urs/local/etc/010.pgsql.sh rc script is launched with the
commands start, stop, restart, status (except initdb, which works
fine).

By looking at /urs/local/etc/010.pgsql.sh source and testing it with
bash -x, I've found out that the problem is caused by $command_args
variable, which is evaluated before postgresql_data is assigned in
rc.conf. That's the reason why the script doesn't fail when you call
initdb: the command doesn't use $command_args.

I've got a workaround by moving $command_args assignment line in to the
postgresql_command function, before calling su, but actually I don't
know if it is the right way to solve the problem.

postgresql_command()
{
     command_args="-D ${postgresql_data} ${postgresql_flags} $1"
     su -m ${postgresql_user} -c "exec ${command} ${command_args}"
}

I hope it will be useful. Anyway, you do a great job everyday. Thank
you and keep going.
Salvatore Montefusco